All You Need To Know About The USB C 4.0

The USB Implementers Forum’s USB C 4.0 standard was made public in version 1.0 in 2019. The Thunderbolt 3 protocol, contributed to the USB-IF by Intel, serves as the foundation for the USB4 standard. According to the data type and application for each transfer, the USB 4 design provides a method to dynamically share a single high-speed link with several end device types in order to best enable data transmission by type and application.


A Brief Description of USB C 4.0 Features

The USB C 4.0 Standard completes and enhances the existing USB 3.2 and 2.0 architectures. The Thunderbolt protocol description is the foundation of USB 4. It was provided by the Intel Corporation. USB C 4.0 is twice the maximum aggregate bandwidth of USB and allows for several concurrent data and display protocols.

Since many host products now use the USB Type-C connection as their external display interface, the USB 4 standard allows the host to adjust allocations so that the display data flow appropriately. With support for current USB 3.2, USB 2.0, and Thunderbolt 3 hosts and devices, the connection expands to the connected devices’ best mutual capabilities.


USB 4 Cable

Benefits of Using USB C 4.0

USB C 4.0 certainly has many benefits, such as:

  • Devices can function at up to 40 Gbps using two-lane connections, which is Thunderbolt 3’s maximum speed. Through two sets of four bidirectional channels, the data is sent.
  • Thunderbolt 3 devices will function with some USB 4 implementations, but not necessarily all of them.
  • Due to the dynamic nature of bandwidth allotment, it is appropriately shared according to demand. For instance, if you wanted to send data and video at the same time, the video would use up 20% of the available bandwidth, leaving 80% of the available bandwidth for data transfer.
  • By using a technique known as “protocol tunneling,” USB 4 devices may deliver DisplayPort, PCIe, and USB packets simultaneously. In the meantime they will also allocate bandwidth appropriately, replacing alternate mode, in which the other interface takes over the connection.


USB C 4.0 And Type-C Ports: Adaptability

It practically goes without saying that only the Type-C connection will support USB 4. You shouldn’t anticipate finding a USB 4 hub or device with retro Type-A connectors. That is not surprising given that only Type-C is compatible with more recent standards like USB Power Delivery. By utilizing an adaptor, the speed, and power will be reduced to the bare minimum.



In almost all situations, USB C 4.0 hosts and devices will be quicker and more useful than their USB 3 equivalents. It attempts to raise USB’s minimum capabilities, much like Thunderbolt 4, while adding some fun new features to make the standard more compatible with modern devices.

SmartAVlink is renowned for offering a variety of cables. Optical USB cables, USB AOC cables, and USB c 3.1 kinds are among SmartAVlink’s top offerings. If you are facing any doubts or issues, you can also seek our help.